I spent this past Sunday at AT&T Park.
The Mets were in town and the Giants were up 3-0 in the series. The Giants trailed by two going into the bottom of the ninth and after an amazing rally, they tied it up 3-3 to head into extra innings. Sadly, the Mets scored another run at the top of the tenth, that went unanswered by the Giants, and the game ended in a 3-4 loss. I wonder if the Giants fans who, dreaming of a series sweep, brought brooms into the ballpark (seriously, how they got those through security is a mystery) flung them into the Bay in disgust after the game?
I enjoy baseball as much as the next gal but I wasn't at the game as a fan; I was there as a volunteer. I sold raffle tickets to raise money for The Wellness Community. This amazing network matches people fighting cancer, and their families, with psycho-social services at no charge.
For the last seven years, my company has partnered with the Giants to Strike Out Cancer. About 85 volunteers sold nearly $18,000 worth of raffle tickets. I am proud to have contributed to that amount. By no stretch of the imagination am I a natural salesperson but folks were so interested to hear about The Wellness Community that I ended up selling more tickets than I thought possible. The two superstars in my group raised over $800 and $600 each. I was nowhere near those amounts but I know I did my best - and had fun doing it!
The best part of the day, beyond raising money for such a good cause and getting to talk to folks about the great services available at The Wellness Community, was when the National Anthem was sung.
Look at the exuberance! This is Zheng Cao. This is her story. I recommend you watch the news clip. It made me smile even while I brushed away tears.
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment