Saturday, April 24, 2010

Quantum mechanics


Have you been in two places at the same time? Once I walked across the Hoover Dam and was in Nevada and Arizona simultaneously. Pretty cool stuff.

However, nothing beats being in two places at the same time internationally. The awesome picture above, from the archives of my epic trip to Glacier National Park last summer, was taken on Lake Waterton and the completely straight line of clear cut in the forest behind us is the 49th parallel - also known as the U.S./Canadian border. Katie, on the left, is in Canada and Jaime (c'est moi), on the right, is in the U.S.

I love this picture. I love the concept of being in two places at the same time - not that this possible anywhere except at the atomic level or in the mind of Philip K. Dick. But, I'm going for figurative interpretations so bear with me.

(Full disclosure: I sometimes dream about having a clone - mostly for work purposes. I'd send my clone to meetings so I can get my actual work done. In theory, it's a sweet idea but cloning delves into bioethical topics that are out of scope for this blog.)

Anyway, I'm gearing up for a big vacation - hopefully not in the vein of National Lampoon - and I intend to have more international opportunities to be in two places at the same time. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Clearly, we're going to need to go to Schengen!. Three countries at once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anita Pea - I love it! Let's do it! Three places is even better than two - it's an international hat trick. I'm all in.

    Going to Four Corners in the U.S. is on my bucket list but that's a domestic supernumerary feat. Schengen must come first! We can even drink wine while strolling around the village - I doubt I'll have that opportunity in the desert of the American Southwest.

    ReplyDelete