I made a fruitless trip to the neighboring town this afternoon. I had to pick up a prescription but of course, I missed the pharmacy being open by mere minutes. Total waste of time and gas. Plus, my timing was all off and I hit every red light between here and there. Every. Single. Light.
On my way home, I stopped by the local Chipotle to pick up dinner. I really like Chipotle. Like, really like it. Have I told you that? It's true. Yum.
I am a frequent flyer at Chipotle and if there isn't a line, I can get my burrito bowl assembled and paid for in less than a minute. Quick like lightning - that's me ordering at Chipotle.
However, notice the caveat "if there isn't a line". Right. When there is a line, it can be agony because typically, because my luck is awesome (not), I am queued up behind the person (or persons) who has never been to Chipotle before and can't figure out how to order.
When I entered the store tonight, there were about 10 people in front of me. Not a big deal except for the family directly in front of me: Mom, Dad and twin boys. I have seen these turkeys before. In fact, I have been BEHIND them before. I know from experience that the boys take forever to decide what they want on their burritos, change their minds 50 times, and try to chat up the staff - who, to their credit, don't obviously grimace at the boys - all while Mom sappily beams at them.
No one is more aware than I that this bit of information is all about perspective. Like, my perspective of this family is skewed due to my location in line relative to their location in line. Because they are in front of me, the boys' precociousness keeps me from my food ergo it is bad. However, if I were located ahead of them in line - just one time, man, just one time! - I am sure that I would view the boys' behavior a bit more kindly. Perhaps indulgently. Like their fond mama views it.
Now that I have probably convinced most of you that I am a miserable human being let me say this: I betrayed my discomfort by neither word nor deed. Adopting a thousand yard stare and plastering a vacant smile on my face gets me through many a trying situation. And tonight, it paid off!
The delightful store manager noticed my unintentional malingering and when I finally got to the front of the line, he not only gifted me with a dollop of free guacamole but he gave me the whole bowl for free, too!
I belive it was the universe's way for rewarding me for not freaking out while hitting all those consecutive red lights and not sighing audibly and irritably after queueing up behind the family of indecision.
Thank you, universe. I enjoyed my free burrito bowl!
Monday, May 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Jaime - whats up you taking a couple of months off here ... I was forgiving due to vacation but two months off???
ReplyDelete