I imagine there are some shocked gasps from my readers as you read that confession. And I hate to disappoint my readership but it’s true. I truly hate the news. I watched as a kid, got out of the habit during college and have never circled back to it. I don’t miss it. Really. A couple of times a year I have to watch (usually when I am a houseguest and have no choice) and those few encounters always reinforce my decision.
True story - one time when I was visiting my parents, who live in rural VA, the lead story in the nightly newscast was devoted to
But I digress. Let's return to my stubborn unwillingness to expose myself to TV newscasts. Despite my tough talk, remaining utterly ignorant of the goings on in the world is not an option so I use the internet to remain marginally informed. This is an imperfect approach because I determine what to read and if left to my own devices, I gravitate towards entertainment news. I definitely want to hear more about which Hollywood actress has broken up with her actor boyfriend versus which US senator has cheated on his (or her) spouse. Plus, the entertainment stories are a LOT shorter so I get more bang for my internet-reading buck.
Despite the deformed basis on which I make decisions of what to read, I’d say on any given day I spend upwards of 20-30 minutes scanning news articles. While I don’t click on everything I should (and I know I click on what I shouldn’t more often than is necessary), I’m reasonably confident that I manage to get the gist of what’s going on any given day. I could do better (God knows I could) but that’s true of so many other aspects of my life and the news just doesn’t rate that high.
So, let's circle back to the title of the posting.
Up to a few days ago, the MSN website facilitated how I got the news of the day. I used it as a jumping off point and before my news perusal was over, I’d usually hit, in addition to MSN, MSNBC, CNN, and Slate, too. But MSN was where I started.
No more. MSN, we’ve broken up. I liked you before – with your blue everything and blocky formatting – but not now. The redesign turns me off and I am no longer smitten with you. The pastel fonts and overwhelming white space do not blow my skirt up (not that I am much of a skirt wearer but you take my meaning). It's over, MSN, we’re done.
In the wake of kicking MSN to the curb, I have to rethink my entire approach to gathering news on the internet. Anyone have a favorite news portal? I’m in the market for a new one and I don’t think Match or Chemistry can help me find my perfect mate so I’m counting on you, my fellow readers, to set me up. I’m ready.


I'm been thinking about this, but I don't think I have a good solution. I read the WSJ (finacial/conservative), Salon (liberal) and then the Chicago Tribune (to keep in touch with the motherland). But that's a lot of sites to visit.
ReplyDeleteWhat about google? I know they have a whole homepage thing you can create - perhaps you could select news and then just get what they give you?
Sorry I'm not more help. Site redesigns can strain (and certainly break) a relationship.
Jaime B.!
ReplyDeleteJaime B.!
There are many options for you.
You could try the NYT Online.
There's always Google News. http://news.google.com/
You can also create your own page of news feeds with igoogle or netvibes (www.netvibes.com). Both of them are relatively easy to set up and allow you to create customized pages for the news sources and blogs you follow.
Luv ya!