I learned something upsetting yesterday and as a result, one of my favorite fun facts died swiftly and ignobly.
As is my habit, I was skimming new stories on Slate and found a delightfully titled article "When Planes Land on Highways". I was drawn to this story because of a long held belief (and enticing fun fact) that the US interstate system was designed to accommodate this very scenario. Did you know that all highways in the Eisenhower interstate highway system must have one perfectly straight mile of road every five miles? This straight stretch of road is to be utilized by aircraft in the case of national emergency.
Or so I thought until Mr. Richard Weingroff killed my belief. So astounded was I by Mr. Weingroff's intelligence, I immediately dashed over to Snopes. I was looking for a miracle. A big red radio button of falseness. Alas, Snopes validated Mr. Weingroff and I was crushed.
I can't account for the discredited fun fact. I have no idea where I first heard it or what source imparted it to me. I do know that I enjoyed it. Anytime I saw a sign for a highway in the Eisenhower system, I thought of my fun fact and it provided a tiny glow of joy and happiness. I mourn the loss of that tiny glow.
I wonder whether I have absorbed other fun facts that are patently false. I'm sure this isn't the only one. Do my readers have any fun facts that died similarly? Did you feel the same way?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


maybe it was more of a goal, than an actuality. I totally heard the same thing years ago......My buzz kill was the pretty hazy colors in the winter nite sky after sunset..purples & oranges...& then being told it was just pollution causing it...I really didn't need to know that
ReplyDelete