My parents maintained a large library of VHS tapes during my childhood. They were sometimes inclined to add to the library based on movies that my brother and I liked; but for the most part, it was filled with videos that they liked. In a true reflection of their very good taste, among many hundreds of titles, Mel Brooks was well represented. As a result, my brother and I were inculcated to the brilliance of Mr. Brooks at a very young age.
Mel was a particular favorite of ours; his movies were silly and naughty and laugh out loud hilarious. They were also clever and richly layered with verbal wit and sight gags. My brother and I endlessly watched Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein. I recall being a fairly busy child but somehow we found the time to watch these movies over and over. So many repeated viewings, in fact, that the characters seem like old friends.
As an adult, I don't take the time to reconnect with my old friends like Sheriff Bart, Igor or Barfolomew nearly enough; but every now and then, I'll catch one of Mel's treasures on cable. If you are a Mel fan, too (or aspire to become one), let is be known that Young Frankenstein is currently on HBO's rotation.
I write this post whilst curled on the couch and am delighted to be reacquainted with Frederick, Inga, Igor, Frau Blucher, Elizabeth, and of course, the Monster.
PS As a child, my favorite part of this scene was the word play regarding Abby Normal's brain. As an adult, what I treasure most is Gene Wilder's exquisitely restrained reply of "I will not be angry" made with clenched teeth and barely controlled rage. I feel like that sometimes at work...
Sunday, November 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Jamie! I love Mel Brooks and am glad that someone else does too! I hope you have a great Christmas! Will you be here for the Holidays?
ReplyDelete