After years of thinking and contemplating, I finally put on my big girl pants and ordered one of these.
I am a HUGE non-fan of DRM and it completely galls me that the books I purchase will not belong to me. That being said, I read enough and travel enough that this purchase makes sense despite the draconian nature of DRM.
I've actually been using the free reading app for a couple of months so I've been sipping the kool-aid for a while now. I went the reading app route because I discovered that Amazon puts books on sale pretty regularly. It's kinda awesome finding free, $0.99 and $1.99 reads. For decent prices, I can load up on days' worth of reading material and it doesn't require me to schlep out to the library or succumb to impulse purchases of $7.99 paperbacks. I don't see myself ever buying a full price e-book - I barely do it with real, physical books - but I've had enough positive interactions with the Kindle Store via the free app to make me think I can successfully integrate the reading device into my life.
Truthfully what pushed me over the edge to wanting the actual device is that I was tired of dragging my laptop around the house with me while reading. Plus, the damn thing gets hot. The device is light, cool to the touch, and rarely needs to be plugged in. My laptop is the total opposite on all counts.
Despite my prolonged hedging and extreme (and unabated) hatred of DRM, I'm rather excited for the delivery of my graphite-y device. I will let you know how it works out. Stay tuned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Welcome to the e-reader world! Both Will and I love our Nooks and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours. Will couldn't get over the DRM issues with Amazon - I don't think he ever considered the Kindle.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the new device!