After several days of rain and cloudy skies, Sunday morning dawned bright with sunshine. I am told that this area desperately needs the rain so I have remained magnanimous with the wet weather. It's still pretty warm so really, what can I complain about? I have been promising Mika-dog a longer walk to explore our new neighborhood and today was the perfect day for it. We began our journey at 8:30AM and didn't return for TWO hours.
First, let me describe the area in which we now live. We are in an apartment complex that is directly across the street from the Bay's shoreline. San Francisco's famous piers continue down into South Beach and we are literally across the street from Piers 38, 36 and 40. Here's a picture of Pier 40:

As you follow the Bay south from our apartment complex, you run into AT&T Park where the San Francisco Giants play. Here's a picture of Mika-dog in front of the park. Wendi wanted proof that she has become a CA girl - well, here you go:
There is a greenbelt just north of the park and this has proven to be dog central for the neighborhood. SF has very relaxed leash laws (as in not really) and dogs frolic in the greenbelt as the owners chat off to the side. I imagine this is what it's like to bring kids to the park to play - at least from the parents' perspective. As you all know, Mika is not an off-leash kind of dog so she sat patiently next to me watching her kindred chase balls and each other. I made friends with many other dog owners (and their dogs) and even found a co-worker who lives just down the street from me. Mika is also not known to be entirely friendly to other dogs but even she has gotten into the spirit of a fresh start and met many new dogs today with very little aggression. She got upset with one big guy who loomed over her and and she also got upset with a very tiny dude who, while straining against his leash, walloped Mika in the head with a flailing paw. But, other than those two dust-ups, she was remarkably friendly. Lots of mutual mouth and butt sniffing. Dogs are so easy - a little sniffing and that's it - you either are or are not friends. If only humans were so uncomplicated.
Anyway, after much human and canine socializing, Mika and I continued on our walk. Here's a picture of my favorite sign posted on and around the stadium. I have to wonder what all has landed on the pedestrian walkway that such a sign is needed.
We followed the shore around the baseball stadium and then headed away from the water and did a bit of exploring. There are many restaurants and shops in very close walking distance from the apartment - I can't wait for my visitors to pour in so we can try them all out.
Now that we are back at home, Mika has completely sacked out on the couch. After a quick sandwich, I will be heading back out. My destination: Fisherman's Wharf. I know it's touristy but I want to get up there while the sun shines. Plus, there appears to be only one Barnes & Noble in SF (quelle catastrophe) and it seems to be in that area. I have a coupon that expires today and I am determined to use it!
Wish me luck as I experiment with public transportation!


This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletejaime! i said to amy how much i enjoy reading your blog because you're such a great writer! if you're asking for feedback though: i did enjoy your top 5 list from the other day. not sure the reader ratio of guys to gals, but guys sure like the short-attention-span bulletized "maxim" format of your first blog...
ReplyDeletei want to visit! looks beautiful (pronounce it like bonnie :)
ReplyDeleteamy
Love the photo of Mika!
ReplyDelete